Special Education Overview
A child with a disability, like all children, has the right to a free and appropriate public education. This right to public education is guaranteed through state and federal law. The following guidelines are important in designing special education programs for children with disabilities:
- Educating students with disabilities as close to home as possible and with regular education students as much as possible.
- Identifying students with disabilities who require specialized instruction, related services, and/or accommodations to receive educational benefit.
- Individualizing educational programs for each student.
- Providing a wide range of special education and related services based on individual needs.
- Emphasizing the importance of parent involvement.