Overview of LAPS
Los Alamos Public Schools offers a well-rounded learning opportunity for students in PreK through 12th grade with a 95% graduation rate. The district also serves three and four-year- olds in its preschool programs. Students in kindergarten through 12th grade may qualify for gifted and talented (GATE) programs at all school sites.
Through its English Learners program, the district serves 170 students from 33 different countries and pueblos speaking 25 different languages. In addition, the district provides special education services for 660 students.
The Healthy Schools ensure the social emotional well-being of all students and staff, providing resources for students, families and staff members as well as professional development and training opportunities.
The high school curriculum is diversified, allowing students to develop an individualized rigorous four-year plan, including Advanced Placement and Dual Credit courses. Career and Technology options include automotive, culinary arts, building trades and business and marketing classes. Students who desire a different approach to education can apply to the School of Choice or the Los Alamos Early College & Career Academy programs.
Saturday School is available for students at the middle and high school level, as well as tutoring programs and academic time.
Los Alamos High School has won state championships in Cross Country, Golf, Swimming and Diving, Chess and Precision Rifle, and was named the New Mexico Speech and Debate School of Excellence.
- Type of district: PreK - 12
- Number of students: Approximately 3,740
- Square miles of district:109
- Number of administrative staff: 25
- Number of certified teachers: 386
- Number of classified staff: 314
- Extracurricular activities: Comprehensive and award-winning athletic, academic, community service, performing and visual arts programs
- Assessed valuation: $217 million
- Operating budget: $76 million
- Number of school buildings:
- 5 Elementary Schools
- 1 Middle School
- 1 Topper Freshman Academy
- 1 High School
- 1 Online Learning Academy
- Accredited: AdvancED
- Accolades: Ranked No. 1 Best Public School District in New Mexico
- Partnerships: Offer over 50 dual enrollment courses through partnerships with the University of New Mexico - Los Alamos and Northern New Mexico College.
Overview of Los Alamos County
Sitting at an elevation of 7,200 feet, Los Alamos is located on the Pajarito Plateau in the mountains of Northern New Mexico. It is approximately 90 miles north of Albuquerque, 35 miles from Santa Fe and 55 miles from Taos. Home to the Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos has a world-wide reputation for scientific and technological achievement, but is also well known for its outdoor recreation and history.
Los Alamos is the gateway to three National Parks -- Bandelier National Monument, Valles Caldera National Preserve and Manhattan Project National Historical Park. Los Alamos County ranks No. 1 as the healthiest community in the country, and No. 1 Best Places to Live in America. The community features a wide network of hiking and mountain biking trails, the Pajarito Mountain Ski Area, outdoor ice rink, golf course and an aquatic center, as well as the Bradbury Science Museum, Los Alamos History Museum, Fuller Lodge Art Center and Los Alamos Nature Center.