Gifted and Talented Program
The program for gifted students in the Los Alamos Public Schools will focus on providing for the academic, emotional, and social needs of the gifted student within a supportive environment. It is the purpose of the gifted education program to provide educational opportunities for the development of intellectual excellence. These opportunities will be appropriate to students’ individual capabilities and will encourage students’ commitment
GATE program goals are aligned with the LAPS 2016 Strategic Plan in the areas of Student Learning (SL), Student Well Being (SWB) and Teacher and Staff Excellence (TSE).
- To provide increased and varied opportunities for learning higher level thinking skills and to help students learn how to apply those skills.
- To identify and support gifted students including those who may be difficult to evaluate due to cultural or linguistic background, socioeconomic status, or disability.
- To develop and encourage independent learning and task commitment toward completion of a variety of quality products.
- To provide opportunities for gifted students to meet with their intellectual peers for purposes of academic, emotional, and social support.
- To develop attitudes of mutual respect, positive risk-taking behaviors, and self-confidence that intellectual excellence requires.
- To provide all school staff with the knowledge and tools to support the academic, social and emotional needs of gifted students across all school settings.
- To foster parent involvement in gifted programs.